Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It ain't all about coffee, but man do I love it




I didn't mean for my first post to actually be about coffee, it just kind of happened that way.

In one of my most favorite movies to quote, "You've Got Mail," Meg Ryan's Kathleen Kelly says to Tom Hanks's Joe Fox "I could never be with someone who has a boat." I'd like to paraphrase that and say, I could never be with someone who didn't like coffee.

In the scheme of things, that seems pretty silly and maybe in someway, better for me. To cross a guy off for not enjoying a (non-alcoholic) beverage is kind of silly. Plus it would equal more coffee for me and less arguments as to who took more than their second helping of java in the mornings.











How could you resist??

And yet, I still have to say, I could never be with someone who didn't like coffee. For me, drinking coffee can be an experience. I own two French-presses, sometimes use a regular coffee pot, have one easy-to-use-pump-your-own milk froth-er, delight in my caramel sauce and vanilla syrup to mix with lattes ... etc. etc. My next coffee-related purchase, I hope, will be one of these: coffee heaven. First experienced it with another coffee-lover and I must say, it has changed how I think about coffee- it's like drinking tea but not as boring. I'm not saying I'm a coffee expert, by no means... I'm just saying that I really, really, really enjoy my morning cup or two of joe.

I wasn't always this way, I hated drinking coffee for many years, though I guess like many people, I got addicted to it in college. I started off with lattes (kind of a problem for me) and within a few years, I was drinking my coffee straight up, no milk- just a little sugar please and thank you. When I studied for a few months in Paris my junior year, getting un café was a special and treasured treat (I was the typical poor student so every single Euro counted). And of course, that experience ruined me... I miss European coffee every day. Even the "accessories" that went with it- un pain au chocolat, par exemple... besides Trader Joes, no one has come close to mimicking the real deal but that's a whole other blog post for another day.

Anyway, I cannot imagine NOT sharing this enjoyment with someone during the weekly morning rush or for the calm lazy weekend brunch. Even just grabbing a cup of coffee for a afternoon treat... how could you not enjoy this? (I will admit, I am not much of a tea person, and grabbing a cup of tea isn't as... romantic(?) to me... unless I guess we were in England... so maybe I'm biased.) It's as second nature to me as taking a shower, brushing my teeth, putting on make-up. Can I survive without it? Yes. I don't actually use coffee for the caffeine rush (though I can't drink it after a certain hour or else I won't fall asleep) ... I drink coffee for the love of it.

Which for some reason, is really really hard for one of my friend's to comprehend. He sees coffee as two things:
1) An evil addiction that enslaves its drinkers to require that daily kick-start or revival or else they will not be able to function (which for some, sadly, is required). The thirst and craving requires you to slowly increase your intake so that Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts rule your very sanity with an iron fist. Must. Get. That. Third. Cup.
2) A trickster - for it smells not as it tastes. We all know what he's talking about- that delicious waft of French Vanilla beans saunters over to you and yet once you taste it, the flavor does not match the scent...this is usually were a novice will cringe and spit out the "disgusting" dark liquid completely disappointed. (I know, I've been there.) It's like drinking whiskey- how many people actually enjoy that first sip?

Okay so he has some good pointers but I'm glad I don't fall into his footsteps. Why would I ever want to miss out on a homemade caramel macchiato?? Qu'est vous pensez?

3 comments:

  1. Seriously. Coffee is wonderful. I drink one cup a day so I'm hardly an addict. But that aroma, that flavor, it's rich, warm, and comforting. It has more depth of flavor than hot chocolate. It has an element of satisfaction that I can't find in a cup of tea. As such, being able to enjoy that with someone I enjoy is definitely one of life's small pleasure's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm, love that you brought Dad's magical coffee pot into this.

    & while I'm obviously quite addicted to coffee & can't function without it, I will say that I'm not motivated to quit because I really enjoy the routine of making my coffee (when I have time) or stopping by DD or Starbucks (when I don't). Plus, I don't know what I'd do socially if I didn't have meeting at Starbucks as an option, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaa "Oh, Me." well of COURSE that was magical. I need it. Now. Any idea if he'd be willing to lend it, like a treasured library book?
    Sarah, I love your descriptions, they're exactly the words I wanted to include but forgot.

    ReplyDelete